Fava Bean Timbale
- 1 cup fresh fava beans - shelled and peeled
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon (optional)
- 2 medium cucumbers - peeled, seeded and cubed
- 1 cup purple cabbage - finely shredded
- 8-10 radishes - cubed
- handful cilantro leaves
- 3 tablespoons chives - finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds - unhulled and optionally toasted
- zest of 1 orange - optional
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
I used raw fava beans in this recipe, but you can also blanch the shelled beans in boiling water for a minute before peeling them. Chop fava beans into 2-3 pieces each. Mix them with corn kernels, tarragon, and a generous pinch of coarse sea salt, leave to soften.
Place the cucumbers in a colander, sprinkle with salt and leave to release juices. Mix cabbage with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lime juice, massage for a couple minutes with your hands and set aside.
Vanilla Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon each balsamic and apple cider vinegar
- seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
- drop of sesame oil (optional)
- sea salt and pepper
Whisk all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
In a bowl, combine all the vegetables with the cubed radishes and the rest of the timbale ingredients. Pour in about one third of the vinaigrette, mix to incorporate. If making a timbale, place the ring mold of the size you like (I used 2 1/4-inch in height and 3 3/4 in diameter) on a plate and pack the salad inside the mold. Place a jar filled with liquid on top and let it stand for 10-15 minutes. Carefully remove the mold and repeat the process to make more timbale. Drizzle with remaining dressing, garnish with chives and sesame seeds. Serve with microgreens or any fresh salad greens.