Thai Turkey Burgers with Peanut Sauce
Makes 4 burgers
- 1 lb 99% fat-free lean ground turkey breast (I used Jennie-O)
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely chopped broccoli
- 3 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 4 buns (I toasted Arnold Sandwich Thins)
- baby spinach leaves
- For the peanut sauce:
- 3 Tablespoons smooth peanut butter
- 1 Tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce (could use siracha)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1. Create peanut sauce by combining peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, water, garlic, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, honey and ground ginger in a food processor or blender. Blend until very smooth. Reserve 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons and set aside.
2. Combine remaining peanut sauce with turkey, carrots, broccoli, green onion, cilantro, salt and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Mix well and form into 4 patties. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and spray with non-stick spray. Cook patties for 3-4 minutes on one side, then spray the top with more non-stick spray. Flip and cook for 3-4 more minutes or until burgers are no longer pink in the middle.
3. Place a burger patty on each bun and top with 2 teaspoons of the reserved peanut sauce. Add baby spinach for crunch and serve.