Fresh Cherry + Dark Chocolate Chunk Scones
makes about 16 scones
- 3 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cups cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- 6 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, chopped
- melted butter for brushing
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
In large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda and powder. Using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla, just somewhat combining, then fold in chocolate and cherries. Stir with a spoon until a dough forms, using your hands to bring it together. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently, adding a bit more flour if sticky.
Divide in half and pat into 7 inch round circles. Brush each dough round with melted butter. Cut into 6 or 8 wedges, or use a biscuit cutter to make smaller rounds.
Bake for 12-14 minutes (wedges) or 9-11 minutes (rounds). Top with fresh cherry glaze!
Fresh Cherry Glaze
- 1 cup fresh cherries, pitted and chopped
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of powdered sugar