Zucchini & Tomato Gratin
- 1 1/2 TB olive oil
- 1 small-medium (about 1/2 lb) zucchini, sliced into 1/2-inch thick rounds
- 1 very small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 c tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1-2 TB fresh grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Add oil to a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat; when oil is hot, add zucchini slices and sauté until browned on both sides (about 2-3 minutes per side). Transfer zucchini to plate lined with paper towels to drain any excess oil; turn heat down to low and add onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is soft (about 5 minutes), stirring occasionally and adding a splash of water if the pan gets too dry.
- Pour the onions on top of the zucchini in the gratin dish and season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper; spread the tomato sauce on top. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the tomato sauce, and bake 15 minutes.
- Turn on the broiler and sprinkle the Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese on top of the gratin. Broil 1-2 minutes (stay with it, this happens fast), until golden brown in spots.