Linguine with Red Pepper Sauce
Bell peppers are the best source of vitamin C. Served as a sauce is a great way to get servings of vegetables, vitamin C, and fiber. Serve over whole-wheat linguini for a heart-healthy alternative.
Makes 6 servings.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 ounces uncooked linguine
- Fresh basil sprigs (optional)
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add red bell pepper and garlic; cook, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Set aside, and cool slightly.
- Place pepper mixture in a blender; add chopped basil and next 3 ingredients. Process until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides.
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
- To serve, top pasta with pepper sauce. Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.