Teriyaki Turkey Burgers With Grilled Sesame Pineapple
- 1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt and pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TBSP teriyaki sauce
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger root
- 1 TBSP sesame oil, divided
- 2 TBSP Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 lbs lean ground turkey (I used one pound 99% fat free ground turkey breast and one pound 93/7 ground turkey)
- 8 pineapple rings (fresh or canned)
- Teriyaki basting and glazing sauce (I used Kikkoman)
- Whole grain hamburger buns
- Lettuce leaves
Heat olive oil in skillet over medium high heat. Add bell pepper and onion and season with kosher salt; pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until onions become translucent. Add garlic and saute for another minute or two. Remove skillet from heat and add the teriyaki sauce, ginger root, and one teaspoon of the sesame oil. Stir to combine.
In a large bowl, crumble ground turkey. Season with Montreal steak seasoning. Add in the sauteed vegetables and combine thoroughly but do not over mix to avoid tough burgers. Divide meat into eight patties and either grill on greased grill or pan fry in a little olive oil. I pan fried mine for a little over five minutes per side. Brush burgers with the basting and glazing sauce during the last minute of grilling.
Meanwhile, brush pineapple rings with remaining sesame oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill (I used my indoor grill pan) for a few minutes on each side until nicely caramelized and grill marks appear.
Place lettuce leaf on bottom bun. Top with turkey burger and add more basting and glazing sauce if desired. Top with one grilled pineapple ring and the top bun. Serve immediately.