- 120 grams mentaiko sacs aka spicy pollock roe (明太子)
- 60 grams butter melted
- 4 tsp sake
- 1 tsp Japanese shoyu or light soy sauce
- 4 tbsp Japanese mayonnaise
- 2 serving favourite pasta (I am using 140g spaghetti)
- shredded nori (roasted seaweed) for topping
- 1 carrot
- Make a slit on each mentaiko sac and scrap out the roe with a spoon. Discard the membrane. Set aside 1 tsp of roe for garnishing.
- Add the remaining roe along with mayonnaise, sake, shoyu and butter in a small bowl bowl; Stir well to combine.
- Cook pasta in salted water according to the timing indicated on the package instructions. Drain pasta and reserve a small cup of pasta water.
- Cut carrots into smaller pieces
- Add the mentaiko sauce prepared in step 2 to the drained pasta while it is still hot. Toss until well-mixed. If the pasta is too dry, add a bit of reserved pasta water to help bind the ingredients. Season to taste with salt if needed.
- Add the carrots to the pasta
- Dish the pasta to a serving plate and top with shredded nori (Seaweed) and roe.
1. How to melt butter. Cut butter to small cubes. Leave the butter cubes to soften in a bowl at room temperature or use the microwave. Microwave method: Place butter cubes in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave for about 30 seconds on low. Take the bowl out, and stir continuously until the butter melts.
2. For a richer taste, you may add a few tablespoons of cream to the sauce.
3. You can use either spicy mentaiko (karashi mentaiko/(辛子明太子) (my preferred type; used in this recipe) or non-spicy version for this recipe.
4. I am using the non-coloured type of mentaiko (hence the pale colour) but if you prefer a more orange hue (see photo), be sure to buy the right type of mentaiko.
*Follows the Pescetarian Diet. *