Chocolate Crackle CookiesYield: 4 dozen cookies
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped or 1 cup chocolate chips. (I used Callebaut bittersweet)
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup AP flour
Optional: ½ cup nuts of your choice, chopped
1/2 cup of powdered sugar in a bowl for rolling
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare 4 sheets of parchment and place one sheet on doubled pans.
2. Place the chocolate in a large stainless steel bowl and set on a sauce pan containing 1 inch of simmering water. Do not let bottom of bowl touch the water. Stir occasionally until completely melted. Remove from heat and let cool to barely warm.
3. Add the brown sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla to the melted chocolate. Mix with a fork until homogenous.
4. Sprinkle baking powder and salt over mixture and incorporate. Add flour and mix thoroughly to form a dough. Add nuts, if using. It may resemble a thick batter. Let sit for 15 minutes to firm up, as chocolate cools.
5. With two teaspoons, form walnut-sized portions of dough into balls or use a 1-tablespoon-sized ice cream scoop. Place balls in bowl with powdered sugar and coat completely. Shake off any thick excess of powered sugar.
6. Place sugared balls on parchment on doubled cookie sheet 2 inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on parchment on flat surface. Remove cookies from parchment with a small sharp knife. Store in air-tight container.