Red Kidney Bean Curry [Rajmah]Adapted from an Arora spice blend
This is an Indian cousin of your favorite spicy red bean chili.
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh ginger (I use half this; I’m tepid in the fresh ginger department)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large green chili, chopped (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 8 ounce can of tomato sauce or 8 ounces of one of your choice
- 3 cups boiled red kidney beans or 30 ounces canned red kidney beans, undrained
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or parsley, if you’re cilantro-averse)
- Heat oil in a deep sauce pan over medium heat for one minute.
- Add ginger, garlic, onion, green chili, and let sizzle for one minute.
- Add the tomato sauce, salt and remaining spices and cook for an additional five minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the kidney beans with water or canned red kidney beans (undrained) plus one additional cup of water, and tomatoes.
- Bring it to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and let cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Garnish with cilantro.