Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies
- 1/2 c butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c white sugar
- 1/3 c peanut butter
- 1 egg + 1 yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 c old fashioned whole oats
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 c chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
- Optional: add 1/2 c peanut butter chips, butterscotch chips, white chocolate chips, toffee bits, raisins, nuts, seeds, etc.
- Combine room-temperature softened butter with the sugars and stir. I did this by hand but you could cream them using a mixer if desired.
- Then stir in the peanut butter.
- Add the egg + yolk and vanilla extract, and stir.
- Then add the oats, baking soda, and flour (slowly) and stir. You should have cookie dough consistency dough and if you don’t, either add a touch more flour if it’s too wet or a touch more peanut butter (I used Jif) if it’s too dry.
- Finally, add the chocolate chips and any optional chips you’re using and stir in.
- Scoop golf ball sized balls onto a cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. They spread but not much (a tip to reduce spreading is to refrigerate and chill the dough prior to baking)
- Bake at 325F for approximately 10-12 minutes. (I like very underdone and soft cookies so I baked mine for 10 minutes) The cookies will look pretty raw even at 12 minutes and that’s ok. Take them out and let the sit and cool well before eating.
Yields: 2 dozen medium/larger cookies or 3 dozen smaller cookies. (You can halve the recipe if desired).
To make vegan: use margarine, and use 2 flax or chia ‘eggs’ or other egg replacer