Hazelnut Chocolate Cake (Raw Vegan)
(makes 5 2×3-inch frosted cakes):
- 2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder, divided
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
- 1 medium avocado
- Crushed hazelnuts for garnish
- Pulse the hazelnuts in a food processor until finely ground into a flour
- Add in the dates, 1/2 cup cocoa powder, and 1/4 cup maple syrup and process until it forms into a thick dough that sticks together.
- Lay the dough out between two sheets of parchment paper and roll to about 3/4-inch thickness.
- With a sharp knife, cut the dough into either 8 or 10 equal sized rectangles. If there’s excess dough you can form it into a ball, roll it out, and cut again.
- Make the frosting by blending together the remaining maple syrup, cocoa powder, and the meat from the avocado until it’s uniform in color and texture. Taste it and adjust the sweetness if need be.
- Spread about 2 tablespoons of frosting over half of the cakes. Layer with another slice and spread an equal amount of frosting on top of that piece.
- Garnish with crushed hazelnuts.