Banana Cupcakes with Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1¼ cups / 300 ml whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 Tbsp / 30 ml finely ground potato flour
- 2 Tbsp / 30 ml flax meal or ground flaxseed
- ½ tsp / 2.5 ml baking soda
- ¼ tsp / 1.25 ml baking powder
- ¼ tsp / 1.25 ml sea salt
- 3 Tbsp / 45 ml virgin coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup / 60 ml Sucanat or other unrefined sugar
- ¾ cup / 180 ml low-fat milk or plain, unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 cup / 240 ml mashed very ripe bananas, about 3 large
- ¼ cup / 60 ml all-natural peanut butter, sugar and salt free
- ½ cup / 120 ml Yogurt Cheese*
- 2 Tbsp / 30 ml pure honey
- ½ tsp / 2.5 ml pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a muffin tin with 10 paper liners.
- In a bowl, mix together whole wheat flour, potato flour, flax meal, baking soda, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, mix together coconut oil and Sucanat. Add flour mixture and mix together until texture resembles slightly wet sand. Slowly stir in milk. Fold in bananas until just combined. Batter will be thick. Scoop a heaping ¼ cup (60 ml) batter into each lined muffin cup until all batter is used. Bake 27 to 30 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Transfer cupcakes to a wire rack to cool.
- To make frosting, mix together peanut butter, Yogurt Cheese, honey and vanilla extract until well combined. Frost tops of cooled cupcakes.
Basically, the only difference between a muffin and a cupcake is the frosting, so if you want to skip the topper – go ahead! Your cupcakes will become delicious and healthy banana muffins. These cupcakes will keep in the refrigerator up to five days.