Black Forest Upside-Down Cakes
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons packed light-brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups drained jarred sour cherries (1 teaspoon juice reserved)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons rum
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cherry juice in the bottom of each of two 8-ounce ramekins. Microwave ramekins until butter and brown sugar are melted and bubbling, about 1 minute. Arrange cherries in a tightly packed layer in the bottom of each ramekin.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt. In another small bowl, stir together 2 tablespoons butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar with a wooden spoon until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Stir in egg yolk, then flour mixture and milk. Divide batter between ramekins.
3. Place ramekins on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center of a cake comes out with only a few crumbs attached, about 30 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, 20 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, and rum until soft peaks form. Run a paring knife around edge of each cake and invert onto a plate. Serve cakes with rum whipped cream.