Avocado Fries with Garlic Lime Chili Aioli
For the Fries:
- 2 avocados, sliced into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 C. milk
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- A spoonful of flour (see directions)
- 3 tsp. of Red Pepper or Chili Powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 c. all purpose flour
- olive oil (EVOO was my oil of choice)
- 3/4 c. mayonnaise
- 3 Tbs. minced garlic
- 2 1/2 Tbs. lime juice
- 3/4 tsp. chili seasoning (we also sometimes use taco seasoning)
- You should mix up the Aioli sauce first, so that it is ready when you're ready to eat these little babies.
- Fill a skillet with oil until about 1/4-1/2" full. Heat on med-high until a drop if water causes the oil to sizzle.
- Slice the avocados into approximate 1/4" slices.
- In one bowl, whisk together your eggs, the milk and the Worcestershire sauce. Add a spoonful or two of flour. You're looking for a smooth consistency but with a little hold. (this helps when dipping everything). I usually start with about a tablespoon and then add about a 1/2 tablespoon more. Honestly, I've found that a single tablespoon is not always enough.
- In another bowl, combine the rest of your flour, pepper and red pepper or chili powder - you choose which way you want it. We actually used red pepper. Mix it all together.
- Now, take each slice of Avocado, dip it into the egg mixture and then the flour mixture, then back into the egg mixture then a final dredge through the flour mixture. Set them on a plate until you have them all ready to go into the oil.
- When they are ready and the oil is ready, drop them into the oil carefully. Try to space them out so they are not touching. Fry for about a minute until you see the sides begin to get golden brown, and then flip them over and continue for another minute or so.
- Remove them to a paper towel. Allow to cool a bit and then dig in!
For the Aioli:
- Mix mayonnaise, garlic, lime juice and chili seasoning in a bowl or in the blender. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving to allow the flavors to marry. Serve on the side of the avocado fries or with any other kind of food.