Paleo Shepherd’s Pie
- 1 head mashed cauliflower (steam & mash while cooking the rest of the pie)
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound spicy hot sausage (I recommend bulk hot sausage from behind the meat counter at Metro Mart)
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- 2 T tomato paste (tomato sauce works well too if you are in a pinch)
- 1 T pizza/italian seasoning
- 3 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400F
- Heat large skillet (I use my cast iron so I can throw it right in the oven) over medium high heat, add coconut oil to melt.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic, sauteing until soft.
- With hands, crumble meat into pan, breaking up large chunks with wooden spoon. Saute until cooked through (about 10-15 minutes), taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add tomato paste, broth and italian seasoning. Stir to combine, bring to boil and let liquid evaporate.
- When liquid has evaporated, add eggs to meat mixture and mix thoroughly. Top with mashed cauliflower.
- Place pie into over and bake for 25-30 minutes.
*If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, you can transfer the meat to baking dish, top with cauliflower and place in the oven.