Baked Eggs With Spinach and Feta in a Tomato
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp crumbled feta cheese
- 1 pound spinach
- Salt and pepper
- Whole wheat breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Cut off tomato tops and set aside. Run a paring knife around the inside edge of the tomato and scoop out insides, creating a tomato shell. Sprinkle the insides with salt and pepper and turn the tomatoes upside down on a towel to dry and drain out any excess liquids.
- In the meantime, steam or sautee the spinach. To steam, fill a pan with a thin layer of water and bring to a boil. Turn off the burner, add the spinach and cover the pan until the spinach wilts. Drain out excess water once the spinach is cooked.
- Stand the tomatoes right side up in a pan, and divide spinach evenly among each one, pressing spinach into the bottom of each. Break an egg inside each tomato shell over top of the spinach.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and feta cheese, and an optional sprinkling of whole wheat breadcrumbs for crunch. Drizzle very very lightly with olive oil. Place in the oven and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Do not let the yolks become too firm. Serve immediately.