Red Velvet Cupcakes
Preparation Time: 25 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 250g plain flour
- 30ml cocoa powder, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 200g caster sugar
- 100g soft, unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons red food colouring
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 175ml buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 500g icing sugar (no need to sift if using a processor)
- 125g cream cheese
- 125g soft unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 170C and line the muffin tins with paper cases.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder and bicarb in a bowl.
- In another bowl, cream the butter and sugar, beating well, and when you have a soft, pale mixture beat in the food colouring and the vanilla.
- Into this vividly coloured mixture, still beating, add 1 spoonful of the dried ingredients, then 1 egg, followed by some more dried ingredients, then the other egg, followed by the rest of the dried ingredients.
- Finally, beat in the buttermilk and vinegar and divide this delightful batter between the 24 cases.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, by which time the batter will have morphed into a more sombre, but still juicily tinted, sponge.
- Leave them to cool on a wire rack and do not ice with the frosting until absolutely cold.
- You can use all butter rather than half-butter and half-cream cheese for this icing.
- Put the icing sugar into a processor and whiz to remove lumps. Add the cream cheese and butter and process.
- Pour in the cider vinegar (or lemon juice) and process again to make a smooth icing.
- Ice each cupcake, using a teaspoon or small spatula.
- Decorate with silver balls, chocolate sprinkles, or anything else you feel will finish these off beautifully.