Roasted Carrots with Walnut Crema
- 1 ½ cups walnuts
- ¾ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for sautéing
- 2 tablespoons fresh rosemary (no need to chop)
- ½ teaspoon of Kosher salt, plus more for water
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the walnuts and let cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Using a ladle, reserve ¼ cup of the walnut cooking water in a bowl to the side. Drain the walnuts and set aside to cool.
- In a sauté pan, add a little olive oil (about 1 tablespoon) over medium heat and cook the onions until golden brown. Once brown, set aside.
- In a food processor combine the walnuts, the ¼ cup of cooking water and the onions. Process until creamy. It will take about 5 minutes. I know this seems long but the longer you process, the more creamy it will get. While processing, slowly add in the olive oil. Add the rosemary and process until blended throughout the crema.